As usual, I manipulated a boxed cake mix for this recipe. It was super easy and the cupcakes, even without frosting, are so moist and yummy! I feel like if I threw some chocolate chips in the batter, it'd be a tasty muffin.
1 box of yellow or golden cake mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or oil if you like)
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cupcake liners in your muffin tray.
2. Mix all your ingredients together in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer. Mix for approximately 2 minutes.
3. Using a spoon or ladle, add cupcake batter to cupcake liners. Fill liners approximately 3/4 full.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until top is springy to the touch.
5. Let cupcakes cool completely.
Cream cheese frosting is sometimes recommended for gingerbread cakes but we're not huge fans of cream cheese frosting in our house so I stuck with buttercream.
I made a basic cinnamon buttercream using 1/2 cup butter, 4 cups of icing sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and teaspoons of water as needed to get the right consistency. I blend my buttercream in my stand-up mixer to prevent my hand mixer from over-heating.
I absolutely love how the cupcakes turned out. The cake itself has a bit of spice to it which is nice. I'm a fan of spicy gingerbread. But the sweet frosting definitely helps with the spice. I added white decorative sugar to the tops to add a bit of sparkle.
These cupcakes would be a hit for any holiday event! I will definitely make these again.
Are you a big fan of gingerbead?
You can find my other ginger recipe here: